PWO Banana Oatmeal Raisin CookiesPosted: September 24, 2013
First of all, let me just preface this post by saying that besides the fact that these are made with oats and raisins, they don’t taste that much like regular oatmeal raisin cookies. I called them cookies because they look like cookies and you can grab them like cookies and they are made with the same base ingredients as oatmeal raisin cookies… but if you’re looking for sugary sweet oatmeal cookies, you might want to look elsewhere.
Okay, now that that’s out of the way, if what you’re looking for is a delicious, healthy, nutrient-dense, grab-and-go snack, you’re in the right place. And the PWO in the title stands for pre-workout because these are also perfect for that.
If you’re looking for a good pre-workout snack, it should break down like this:
- Low levels of fat, as fat takes the longest to break down
- Moderate levels of protein to increase the rate of protein synthesis and help decrease muscle breakdown
- Good amount of carbs to increase glycogen stores and give you the energy to power through your workout
These “cookies” aren’t like eating regular cookies before you hit the gym, which will cause you to crash after the sugar wears off, but they will help fill up your energy tank and help give you the fuel to go move weight, run hard, swim fast, or dance wildly.
Two of these cookies have about 25g carbs, 4g protein, and 3g fat. The main sources of of the carbs – the oats and the bananas – are good clean, energy-packed sources. The fat comes mainly from the eggs, and the little bit of honey and raisins give you some of the (natural) sugar that you need. If you haven’t eaten in a while, you might need more than this ~135 calorie snack before you workout, but for someone like me who can’t eat a big meal right before I workout, this is the perfect source of fuel.
I workout first thing in the morning, so these are great for me to grab and eat in the car on the way to the gym, without having to prepare anything when I first wake up. This week, I’m also planning to try out a new gym after work, so these will be nice to have on hand so that I can get something in my stomach after work when dinner is still a while off.
Besides the fact that they’re healthy, they’re also super easy to make. And of course, they’re delicious enough to eat anytime of the day… not just before your workout!
- 3 cups oats
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Pulse oats in a food processor until they become a flour (optional).
- Combine banana and eggs in food processor until blended.
- Mix oats with banana and egg mixture until combined.
- Add in honey and cinnamon and mix well.
- Stir in raisins.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. (Note: these will not be sticky or doughy like normal cookies. They’ll fall apart a little bit so just do your best to shape them into cookies.)
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
What do you eat before you workout?
A big meal, a snack, nothing?
Do you worry about protein/fat/carbs?