Strawberry Banana Protein PancakesPosted: February 15, 2013
If you’ve been reading for a while, you’ve probably noticed that I have a pretty good-sized love affair going with pancakes. Buttery, chocolate chip pancakes are my favorite (surprise, surprise), but I try to save those for special occasions. I’ve been making pumpkin pancakes fairly often lately, and those are awesome, but this morning I was in the mood to try something a little different.
Pancakes can really be made with any number of ingredients as long as you can get them to cook up in a pan, and there are literally all kinds of “protein pancake” recipes out there. I’ve seen them made with things like protein powder, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, all kinds of flours, mashed bananas, spices, and oats, and if you just do a quick Google search for them, you’ll have all kinds of options.
I went with the ingredients that I had on hand, and although I was a little nervous with how they seemed to be coming out in the middle, I was really pleased with the end result. They looked a little bit sad when they were cooking, and I was bummed that I might have a failed recipe on my hands, but in the end, the taste was perfectly sweet and the texture was great. I think the trick is to let the batter set for a few minutes before pouring it, and then keep the pan or griddle on low and allow them to cook through slowly.
- 1.5 scoops strawberry whey protein powder
- 6 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 6 oz. banana Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together well
- Let batter sit for several minutes before cooking
- Heat a pan or griddle on LOW and spray with a non-stick spray, if necessary
- Pour a small amount of batter onto the pan; After 30 seconds, pour a bit more on top
- Once pancake is bubbling, flip carefully and cook through
- Top with strawberries, maple syrup, or any other desired toppings!
What do you put in your pancakes?